Sunday, February 28, 2010

Bible Bill

"This was the 45th house today. If people wanted the word of God this much, they could easily come to the store and buy these bibles. I don't understand why my job thinks I should be doing this much door to door selling. I mean, I love God just like the next man, but he said people have freewill. We can't force this doctrine on them.". Bill Catherity walked up to the door and rung the bell.

"Yes", an elderly woman opened the door. Bill warmed up a little bit. He knew elderly people were a little more open to hearing about religion and spiritual things. She might even buy a bible out of courtesy.

"Hello ma'am. How are you on this fine afternoon?"

"I'm fine dear. Are you selling bibles?"

"Yes."

"Please come in."

Bill stepped into the house . It smelled of Rosemary and Mincemeat Pie. It was very inviting.

"Would you like a slice of pie.?" The lady offered.

"Yes, I would. Thank you very much for your kindness."

The lady sat a plate of pie down. She looked around the corner and yelled upstairs.

"Cindy, come down here. It's one of those bible guys again. You wanna go at it?"

The old lady looked back at Bill. "Good luck."

"Oh, so you're one of those religious types are you." Cindy said, coming down the stairs. "Well, let me tell you what I think about your kind..."

Bill sighed. Another day in the life.

1 comment:

  1. This is a great start, Michael. It's a vanishing way of life. How many Bible salesman are still out there who go door to door? Not many. Good dialogue here.

    ReplyDelete